Galaxy S Installation¶
Warning: installing an operating system, such as Replicant, may void your device's warranty and will erase the data stored on the device.
In order to install Replicant on your device, it is assumed that you have a computer running a GNU/Linux operating system and everything necessary to connect your device to the computer through USB available. Moreover, it is assumed that anyone performing the installation knows how to use command lines in a terminal and has basic knowledge about it.
Before the installation¶
Some preliminary steps may be necessary to achieve best compatibility with your device. These steps may require more advanced technical skills than the rest of the process: make sure you know what you are doing!
Flashing the Android 2.3 partitioning layout¶
If your phone is currently running Android 2.2, you need to upgrade it to a newer version, at least Android 2.3 or it will be impossible to flash Replicant to the device.
It is required to install CyanogenMod prior to Replicant as it'll solve possible issues with the modem image (the modem image bust me installed in
/radio/modem.bin and symlinked to
You can find official CyanogenMod installation instructions at: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/index.php?title=Install_CM_for_galaxysmtd
Downloading the files¶
The first step in the installation process is to download and set up the files that will be used to install Replicant to the device. The files must be downloaded on your computer first.
1. Find out what the latest image is: check out the
Last image part of the general table on GalaxyS
2. Download all the files listed for the device (including the checksum) on ReplicantImages for the latest image
3. Download and install
heimdall, version 1.4 and later: http://www.glassechidna.com.au/products/heimdall/
There are prebuilt packages for most popular GNU/Linux distributions, but you can also easily build it from source.
heimdall's command line interface will be used in this guide.
Preparing the device¶
Copying the files to the device¶
The following step in the installation process is to copy the files that will be used to install Replicant to the device.
You can either complete this step by using the device's internal storage or by using an external micro-SD card.
Using the internal storage¶
1. Make sure the device is started up and has an Android system running
2. Connect the USB cable to both the computer and the device
3. Enable USB mass storage on the device
4. Mount the mass storage on the computer
5. Create a directory at the origin of the mass storage
6. Copy all the files listed for the device (including the checksum) to the newly-created directory
7. Safely unmount the mass storage on the computer
8. Disable USB mass storage on the device
Using a micro-SD card¶
1. Connect the micro-SD card to the computer (e.g. using an USB card reader)
2. Mount the micro-SD card on the computer
3. Create a directory at the origin of the micro-SD card
4. Copy all the files listed for the device (including the checksum) to the newly-created directory
5. Safely unmount the micro-SD card on the computer
6. Disconnect the micro-SD card from the computer
7. Insert the micro-SD card in the device (make sure it is turned off before inserting the card)
Setting-up the device for
The next step in the installation process is to prepare the device for
1. Make sure the device is completely turned off and the USB cable is disconnected from the device
2. Start the device by holding the following key combination: Volume down, Select, Power
3. Hold the key combination until the device shows Downloading
4. Connect the USB cable to both the computer and the device
Installing the images¶
Now that both the computer and the device are set up, it is time to actually install the images to the device.
1. Open a terminal and run:
sudo heimdall flash --KERNEL path/to/recovery.img
path/to/recovery.imgrefers to the path to the
recovery.imgfile. If you downloaded the images in the directory where your terminal is at, you can replace
2. If everything went well (
heimdall should indicate an error if something went wrong), the device will reboot to
recovery mode is started up, select flash images (using the volume keys to navigate and the power key to select)
4. If you have a micro-SD card inserted, you will have to select the location of the images to install (one is the internal storage and the other is the micro-SD card)
5. Select the directory on which you copied the Replicant images
6. Confirm the installation by selecting Yes - Flash
7. Select Go Back (if necessary) to get back to the general menu
8. Select wipe data/factory reset
9. Confirm the data wipe by selecting Yes -- delete all user data
10. Select Reboot system now to reboot the device
Your device should now be running Replicant!
Wiki License: Creative Commons BY-SA