Project

General

Development status of 4G/LTE support

Added by Robert A. Hickey 6 months ago

Hello!

First of all, I would like to thank everyone who volunteers to help develop Replicant. You guys are doing a great job!

I've been following the project for some time and since my current phone recently broke, I'm thinking about getting a "new" phone to install Replicant on.

Since 3G networks are being phased out, I would like to know what the development status of 4G/LTE support is. Can we expect a working modem in the foreseeable future?

Thank you.

Replies (4)

RE: Development status of 4G/LTE support - Added by Jack K 5 months ago

You can follow the main issue here: https://redmine.replicant.us/issues/2206

It says Note 2 LTE but S3 LTE has the same modem so progress on one will help the other.

There is also this issue: https://redmine.replicant.us/issues/1813 but it looks like that is for Replicant 6 which I think won't get LTE support. Replicant 11 is the next major version being worked on, though GNUtoo is focusing on 3G modem for now. I am trying a few bits and bobs on Note 2 LTE but I am not very skilled.

As ever, no ETAs but I imagine it will be important at some point given being 3G phased out.

RE: Development status of 4G/LTE support - Added by Blue Computer 4 months ago

Jack, I have all the necessary hardware to test the S3 i9305, and also the Note 2 LTE N7105, can you please give me a way to reach out to you? I am able to install the regular Replicant build zips just fine, I just have no idea how to get any of yalls test builds
I want to test the current progress on 4G support for these two device. please let me know, thanks

RE: Development status of 4G/LTE support - Added by Robert A. Hickey 3 months ago

Thank you, Jack.

Does 2G/3G support work on the I9305 or N7105 while only lacking 4G support, or do these devices currently have no radio capability at all?

RE: Development status of 4G/LTE support - Added by Jack K about 2 months ago

I think I might have replied to this elsewhere, but for others reading, there is no radio capability at all, as the LTE devices have a completely different modem chip, which is not yet supported.

Jack

(1-4/4)