Integrate RepWifi into Replicant
- Android uses wpa_supplicant
- Android probably talks to wpa_supplicant trough a control interface (ctrl_interface) in the wpa_supplicant configuration file.
- wpa_supplicant can be started and controlled from shell scripts.
- busybox can probably still be compiled for Android 6.0.
- Busybox has a tiny version of udev called mdev, which can run scripts when a device is detected. It is probably very easy, with it, to run a script when an ath9k_htc compatible wifi card is detected.
- As far as I understand, Android doesn't have a dev manager like udev, so using mdev would probably not conflict with other things.
It may be possible to integrate external wifi support well enough to make it transparent for the user once the wifi dongle is plugged in.
#1 Updated by Joonas Kylmälä over 1 year ago
This looks very useful: http://blog.linuxconsulting.ro/2010/04/porting-wifi-drivers-to-android.html. I already got one idea from that blog post: as the thing works like that you supply wpa_supplicant some wifi driver (in i9300/5 case it is currently NL80211) so let's make a driver that combines all usb wifi drivers to one. I will try to come with other ideas before I'm going to try make that kernel driver because a) I'm not good kernel coder and b) it might be be a bad way to implement this.
Relevant file for smdk4412 kernel: device/samsung/smdk4412-common/BoardCommonConfig.mk
#2 Updated by Fil Bergamo about 1 month ago
- Status changed from New to Feedback
- Target version changed from Replicant 6.0 to Replicant 6.0 0004
- % Done changed from 0 to 90
There is a patch pending, that enables the use of external Wifi dongles with the default system GUI:
I personally tested the patch and it works at least on i9300.