Write upgrade instructions from Replicant 6.0 0003 to Replicant 6.0 0004 (incompatible /data partition)
Updated by Fil Bergamo over 1 year ago
- Assignee set to Fil Bergamo
- Estimated time set to 10.00 h
I can take care of testing the instructions on the following devices:
- i9100 (Samsung Galaxy S2)
- i9300 (Samsung Galaxy S3 GSM)
- N7100 (Samsung Galaxy Note2)
- N5110 (Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi)
- P3100 (Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GSM)
Updated by Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli 7 months ago
- Subject changed from make sure that the upgrade instructions work for Replicant 6.0 0004 to Write upgrade instructions from Replicant 6.0 0003 to Replicant 6.0 0004 (incompatible /data partition)
The upgrade instructions don't work.
The data/ partition is incompatible and the application data need to be backed up and restored.
Updated by Kurtis Hanna 7 months ago
Is there any reason why we shouldn't add installation instructions where TWRP is used? A user reported that it can be used to install Replicant without a PC. https://redmine.replicant.us/boards/3/topics/14715
It is my understanding that TWRP is free software, but they have an android app in Google Play that isn't free software.
Updated by Kurtis Hanna 5 months ago
This can be used as a starting point to complete this issue: https://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/replicant/images/replicant-6.0/0004-rc1/README_VERY_IMPORTANT_INFORMATION.txt
Updated by Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli 14 days ago
Between Replicant 6.0 0003 to Replicant 6.0 0004 RC1 we may have had some changes affecting data/ like the fix of the bug #1827, however between the 0004 RC1 and 0004 RC2 we have no such changes.
However, since Replicant 0004 RC1, instead of having replicant-6.0 in Settings->About phone->Replicant version, we now have something like replicant-6.0-0004-rc1 or replicant-6.0-0004-rc2. So I wonder if it's related or not.
In any case that change is desirable as it helps users understand if they need to upgrade or not, so the best way is to fix it somehow.Here are ways we could look into:
- Debug this issue
- Making a TWRP version that is fully free software (so with a deblobbed kernel). Thanks a lot for the pointer on that.
- Making sure that the future Replicant 10 recovery doesn't do that check and enable to safely install older versions of Replicant as well (for instance by checking gpg signatures and displaying versions in a generic way).