On the Galaxy SII, the GPS isn't supposed to work, but OSMAnd is able to get a position in "device only" mode
The Bluetooth and GPS modules of the Galaxy S2 i9100 require non-free firmware and therefore shouldn't work. I have the same issue on my other S2 and on my Galaxy Note.
Updated by Fil Bergamo over 1 year ago
thank you for reporting this seemingly anomalous behaviour.
I confirm I can reproduce it on a i9100 (Galaxy S2) with a fresh install of the official Replicant 6.0 0003 image.
We are investigating about this.
I will report any news on this ticket.
Updated by Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli over 1 year ago
Bluetooth¶To reproduce for Bluetooth I did the following:
- I installed Replicant as usual: I reinstalled the recovery, installed the zip and then did a full factory reset in the recovery.
- Once booted, I then scanned for other bluetooth devices that I found.
The bluetooth chip most probably has some firmware in a rom that can most probably be patched at runtime, so it's possible that it works for some devices but not others.
We need to read the bluetooth driver and kernel logs to understand what happens if no bluetooth firmware is present, to validate that it's indeed the case and to understand in which condition it's supposed to work and not to work.
It would be really nice if the ROM makes it work, though it's a double edged sword as the ROM most probably has security issues. In the longer term we would need to find the time to look into internalblue to see if we can fix the security issues.
For GPS I need more time to try it. As it's not supposed to work at all I'm really curious to know how you managed to get it working.
We need to dig more into it too, as we may uncover some deeper issue such as applications being able to not respect the position privacy settings and so on.
- Did you get a position? Do you have more details on how you managed to get a position?
- If so What made you think that the position was given by the GPS?
- In Settings->Location mode is it set to "Device only" ?
Updated by Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli about 1 year ago
- Subject changed from Bluetooth and GPS are working on the Galaxy S2 when they shouldn't to OSMAnd is able to get a position in "device only" mode but the GPS isn't supposed to work
- one for the GPS part (this one)
- one for the bluetooth part: #1928
Updated by Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli 10 months ago
- Status changed from New to Feedback
I've been unable to reproduce the bug.
Maybe I'm missing some of the things that makes getting a position work.
For the people able to reproduce the bug, could you describe more precisely the actions that enabled you to get a position?