Project

General

Profile

Issue #2102

Replicant does not properly recognise a SIM card from a German internet provider

Added by A F 3 months ago. Updated 3 months ago.

Status:
New
Priority:
Normal
Assignee:
-
Category:
SIM card not recognized
Target version:
Start date:
08/03/2020
Due date:
% Done:

0%

Estimated time:
40.00 h
Resolution:
Device:
Galaxy S 3 (I9300)
Grant:

Description

I've got the 삼성 Galaxy S3 i9300, and I installed Replicant 6.0004RC onto it. This OS did not even recognise my SIM card. I then installed Replicant 6.0003, which had no effect. Finally, I installed Replicant 4.2, and there at least it said "searching for networks", but the process went on forever until the battery charge was used up.

Here is some information I was asked in the forum to share here; it's about the contract:

  • Germany
  • Flat rate
  • Congstar, a subsidiary of "Deutsche Telekom"
  • The (northern hemisphere) summer of 2017 (start of contract, reception of the SIM card)
  • Only to be used for phone calls, not for internet surfing (the Corona app is the only reason I bought the smartphone)

I've also created a rather large log file, which seems to indicate an endless loop. A sample line from that log file is this:

getSimState: default sim:-1, sim state for slotIdx=0 is 6, return state as unknown

Please do indicate whether I ought to supply additional content from that log file.

#1

Updated by Kurtis Hanna 3 months ago

Hello A F,

I think that this "sim state is 6" error corresponds with the following code in this commit: https://git.replicant.us/contrib/wiewo/device_samsung_smdk4412-qcom-common/commit/?h=replicant-6.0&id=690929d9e20464a030edfb2eaddcdb20451cf38d

+ public static String operatorReplace(String response){
+ // sanity checking if the value is actually not equal to the range apn
+ // numerics
+ // if it is null, check your ril class.
+ if(response == null ||
+ (5 != response.length() && response.length() != 6)){
+ return response;

[...]

+ // this will not stay persistant in memory, this will be taken care of
+ // iin garbage collection routiene.
+ private Map<String, String> unOptOperators = null;
+ // unoptimized version of operatorreplace for responseOperatorInfos
+ // this will provide a little more flexiblilty in a loop like sisuation
+ // same numbers of checks like before
+ // this is for the search network functionality
+ public String unOptimizedOperatorReplace(String response){
+ // sanity checking if the value is actually not equal to the range apn
+ // numerics
+ // if it is null, check your ril class.
+ if(response == null ||
+ (5 != response.length() && response.length() != 6)){
+ return response;

If this is correct, I think that the issue you are having is APN related. Have you attempted to edit your APN settings to make them match the settings your carrier requires?

I found this page of a thread where people were talking about a very similar looking log output: https://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4-verizon/development/cyanogenmod-14-1-t3495231/page204

I really have no idea if that xda thread is relevant here, but it did seem like they found a fix for their issue. If it is relevant to this issue you are experiencing, I believe that the fix would be to remove the following line from build.prop and reboot: ro.telephony.ril_class=smdk4x12QComRIL

I'd suggest not doing that though until someone else who is more knowledgeable on this topic can weigh in on the issue.

Cordially,
Kurtis

#2

Updated by Kurtis Hanna 3 months ago

If your issue is #2101 related, where your Sim has been locked to a carrier, it sounds like this xda thread is relevant: https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3/development/free-sim-unlock-via-nvdata-bin-sgs3-t1715149

Also available in: Atom PDF