FastbootInstallation » History » Revision 6
Warning: flashing another operating system like Replicant may void your warranty and will erase the data stored on the device.
This guide assumes your phone is supported by fastboot.
Download the files¶
- Refer to your device page to find a link to the latest images (Last images part of the table).
- Download the images and the md5 checksum
- Download fastboot from the latest images
toolsdirectory (it is a prebuilt x86 binary for GNU/Linux). Note that you can still use this binary on a system with different hardware architecture as long as you have 32-bit version of needed libraries installed. It is known to work with 32-bit version of GNU C Library and legacy GNU Standard C++ Library version 3 installed.
- Make sure fastboot is executable:
chmod a+x fastboot
- System permissions are needed to access the device with fastboot. You will see it stops on '<waiting for device>' message when you are missing permissions while flashing. Unless you are going to use root account for running fastboot you will need to setup udev rules and add your user to the user group specified in these rules (usually this is plugdev or adbusers).
Key combinations for fastboot mode¶
|Device||Keys (held together)|
|HTC Dream/HTC Magic||BACK, POWER|
|Nexus One||Trackball, POWER|
|Nexus S||VOL+, POWER|
|Galaxy Nexus||VOL-, VOL+, POWER|
Prepare the phone¶
- Turn the phone off, disconnect any USB cable
- Hold the key combination for fastboot mode (release only when in fastboot mode)
- You should be in fastboot mode. If not, remove the battery and retry the steps above
- Once the fastboot screen is waiting, plug the USB cable
Unlocking the bootloader¶
If this is the first time you reflash your phone, you will need to unlock the bootloader. This is done using fastboot:
./fastboot oem unlock
Warning: This will erase all the data stored on the phone, including the data stored on the internal memory!
Flash the images¶
- Flash the images using fastboot:
./fastboot flash boot boot.img ./fastboot flash recovery recovery.img ./fastboot flash system system.img ./fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
- Clear cache:
./fastboot erase cache
Your device should now be running Replicant!