The Replicant project sometimes needs to take decisions. The decisions are currently taken by the steering commitee.It would be better if this is made more horizontal:
- It would remove the single points of failure
- The decisions would be better and less horizontal
Challenges¶The main issues with a more horizontal governance in Replicant are:
- To ensure that the decisions being taken are informed decisions
- The Replicant project doesn't become a nonfree distribution
Project governance can work in completely horizontal way, however to do that projects typically need to implement some rules1.Examples:
- Some free software projects require to follow meetings or pay a membership to be able to vote. The goal behind that is to avoid taking uninformed decisions.
- Events organization projects do manage to take very well informed decisions in a very efficient and fast way2.