- Table of contents
- Replicant Wiki
- Supported devices
- Replicant status
- Replicant installation and update
- Replicant usage
- Replicant build
- Contributing to Replicant
Welcome to the Replicant wiki, which provides information about Replicant, supported devices and research about other mobile devices and platforms.
For more information about Replicant, head over to the Replicant website.
You can help improving the wiki! Wiki editor privileges can be requested by contacting the developers. A short description of the changes and additions you want to make is needed as part of the request. The wiki guidelines should be followed.
Unless specified otherwise, the information displayed in this wiki is only relevant to the latest Replicant version. Do not assume backwards compatibility of the instructions with old versions of Replicant.
- Galaxy S 2 (I9100)
- Galaxy S 3 (I9300)
- Galaxy Note (N7000)
- Galaxy Note 2 (N7100)
- Galaxy Nexus (I9250)
- Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (P31xx)
- Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (P51xx)
- Galaxy Note 8.0 (N51xx)
Replicant installation and update¶Installation instructions:
- ReplicantInstallation: How to install Replicant for the first time.
- Minor version upgrade: How to upgrade to a new release from the same Replicant version (like from 6.0 0003 to 6.0 0004).
- ImagesIdentification: How to find out which Replicant version you are running
- BackupTheEFS: Instructions to backup the modem data partition on devices with such partition
- Recovery installation with Heimdall: New 'generic' instructions to install (or upgrade) the recovery with Heimdall.
- Enabling WiFi with an USB WiFi adapter
- Replicant USB Networking
- Graphics rendering on Replicant
- Taking screenshots
- Android Debug Bridge (ADB)
- Deactivating the modem
- General-purpose usage notes and tips
- Safe mode: How to enter Android's safe mode (useful for devices stuck in a boot loop).
See the device pages for device-specific usage information.
Replicant build¶Main build instructions for Replicant images:
- Generic Replicant 6.0 Build: Instruction to build Replicant 6.0
- Replicant 6.0 build dependencies installation
- Replicant source code
Contributing to Replicant¶There are many different ways to contribute to Replicant depending on your skills and available time or other resources
- Financial contributions can be made via our fiscal sponsor, The Free Software Foundation.
- Donate devices that are listed here so that we can use them for development.
- Tasks to improve Replicant
- Tasks to fund: draft on a new task page which includes tasks that can be funded
- Developer guide
- Tools installation
- Getting logs
- Serial port
- GDB debugging
- Workshops: How to organize a Replicant workshop
Some device pages also have development sections.
Replicant porting guides¶
Freedom privacy and security research¶
- Details about the Samsung Galaxy back-door, that affects some Samsung Galaxy devices
- AntiFeatures: anti-features inherited by upstream.
- Location Tracking Research on how to avoid location tracking
- Trust Zone: Research on TrustZone
- Security Analysis of Android Factory Resets
- Modem isolation research: Information on freedom, privacy and security issues on the topic, and research on how to mitigate the issues.
- The device pages also contain hardware-specific research and a freedom and privacy/security evaluation for the respective device.
- DevicesPictures: Pictures of devices and their internals
Hardware components support research¶
Research on how to support specific hardware components (chips, various system on a chip, etc) in Replicant.
- BCM4751 GPS protocol support
- GSD4t GPS protocol support
- AKM8976A support
- OMAP4 Ducati camera support
- QMI-RIL QMI protocol support
- WiFi Research on how to get free software WiFi firmwares and USB OTG support
- Bootloaders Research on weather it's possible or not to run a free software bootloader on various devices
- DangerousBatteryChargerExperiments: Plan to upstream a way to disable the battery charging. Please really do read the warnings.
Device evaluations research¶
Device specific evaluation and research
- HardwareRequirements Documentation and research on Android hardware requirements
- Optimus Black (P970) including development notes
- NECUNOS NC_1
- Various other devices
- Galaxy Note 2 4G (N7105): Work in progress page to add information on N7105.
- Exynos4412Devices: Page about devices with an Exynos 4412 and their variants.
Software projects research (Upstream, dependencies, Replicant versions, etc)¶
- F-DroidAndApplications Research on how to get FSDG compliant package managers and applications
- Dependencies Development efforts to enable to build Replicant on various GNU/Linux distributions
- Graphics Research Research on free software graphics driver implementations
- Porting Replicant to Android 9: Tracks the progress of porting Replicant to Android 9
- Upstream Research on approaches to use upstream Linux and generic HAL in Replicant
- Toolchain Development efforts to remove prebuilt binaries from the source tree
- BackupsResearch: Research on backups partitions for various purposes (Backuping your data, Replicant or to do some research)
Bug documentation research¶
- Testing infrastructure How to create a test infrastructure for Replicant
- OutdatedPages Pages that are not used anymore. They are kept and linked from here for history purposes.
- GovernanceResearch Research on governance structures
Contact¶If you have any questions or want to talk to the developers, you can use any of the following:
- Replicant artwork
- People: People that are interested in contributing in Replicant, that are contributing to it, or that have been contributing to it.
- ReplicantInfrastructure Description of the network infrastructure of Replicant (Redmine, git, etc), and the other project resources
- Presentations Presentations made on behalf of the Replicant project
- EventsMeetings planning for meetings and events at conferences
- SteeringCommittee: Replicant steering committee, reports on project decisions and fund usage
- Tasks funding: Tasks that will be funded, are being funded or have been funded.
- PublicPositions public positions of Replicant
The wiki is available under the Creative Commons BY-SA license.