PortReplicantToAnewerAndroidVersionInitialDescription¶Replicant is currently based on LineageOS 13 which is based on Android 6.0.
It is becoming very urgent to upgrade Replicant to a newer release of Android, as Android 6.0 is not supported anymore. It would probably also make it way easier to fix the following issues:
- Replicant is currently lagging behind with security fixes
- Replicant cannot be built from a GNU/Linux distribution that follows the Free Software Distribution Guidelines
- A computer that is able to build Replicant.
- A smartphone or tablet that can easily supported by the new version of Replicant and that meet Android 9 HardwareRequirements.
- Remove all proprietary components of LineageOS and make sure that Replicant follows the Free Software Distributions Guidelines"
- Port all the changes needed to successfully boot without any proprietary software in Replicant
- Make sure that most of the security issues are fixed, and lower the attack surface if possible.
- Make sure that Replicant can be built on a GNU/Linux distribution that follows the Free Software Distributions Guidelines
- Rebrand LineageOS as Replicant
Funding: We applied to https://nlnet.nl/PET