« Previous |
| Next »
Wolfgang Wiedmeyer, 04/26/2017 01:41 PM
move "issue tracker, wiki and this page" to end (confusing for first-time readers as it almost completely doesn't apply to non-maintainers)
This page describe how to help Replicant if you have some time at hand.
Project focus¶While supporting many common (Samsung) phones and tablets is relatively easy and fast to do, we think that it's way more important to support devices that are better for freedom:
- Many Samsung devices we do support have an isolated modem, however we can't free their bootloader because it is signed.
- Devices like the GTA04, the LG Optimus black don't have that bootloader issue, while still having an isolated modem.
We therefore strongly advise to pick tasks that would advance this goal.
We however still accept contributions for devices with isolated modems and non-free bootloader.
Tasks that don't require specific hardware¶
- Fix the security vulnerabilities reported in the issue tracker (Very important).
- Make it easy to rebuild the prebuilt parts of the toolchain and other binaries in the source code (Important).
- Make a more complete EGL implementation like llvmpipe usable so newer webview versions and Firefox-based browsers can be used (Feature #705) (Very important as it affects security)
- Improve hardware-specific graphics acceleration (Feature #1491, GraphicsResearch) (Important if it can benefits devices with free bootloaders).
- Make it easy to build and release a Replicant NDK or a package with build tools from the Replicant source code (Issue #1787 and Feature #837, see also NDKBuild for Replicant 4.2)
- Improve software video decoding (Feature #1521) (Less important)
- Clean the ReplicantWallpapers code and use modern Trebuchet-like wallpaper selector (Feature #1527)
- Figure out the BCM4751 GPS protocol and write a free implementation (Feature #1473) (Important since it affects many devices, including the optimus black).
- Improve various aspects of Samsung-RIL (add support for missing features and/or correct bugs) (Issue #1485)
- Add the missing audio scenarios for bluetooth (AD2P, calls, etc), dock audio for the Galaxy S2 (I9100) (#1497)
- Make the GSD4t GPS work (Feature #1479)
- Write free firmware replacements for WiFi, Bluetooth, camera and hardware media encoding/decoding chips on Replicant-supported devices
Issue tracker, wiki and this page¶
- Make the issue tracker more clear
- Write guidelines for reporting bugs
They should clarify which kind of issues should rather be discussed in the forums and how security issues should be reported.
- Create a "How to become a Replicant developer" page, providing a short and lightweight intro for newcomers, mainly consisting of tips
developer and porting guide can be a bit heavy-weight if you just want to start tinkering
- Describe the project priorities and the required hardware if any