Applications that can be used to do some testing on the device¶
Projects and/or hardware that can be used to do functional testing¶
Lava can be used to do functional tests on real hardware. It can be easily installed on PureOS, an FSDG compliant GNU/Linux distribution.
Labgrid has features similar to Lava but it is probably easier to learn because it's probably way easier to get started with it.
The OsmoGSMTester project is able to be interfaced with the Android RIL through ofono and can emulate a GSM network with the help of a compatible GSM base station or SDR.
This presentation from 2019 has many insights on what kind of issue we might expect in interfacing it with smartphones.
The Simtrace 2 project can be used, along with SIM card readers to programmatically feed a SIM card to a smartphone. This can be used to run test on real networks.
Replicant supported devices and testing¶
- Antenna connector for the modem
- The ability to control the device buttons in order to be able to programmatically power on and off the device, and trigger boots into the bootloader and recovery
- Optionally a way to connect to the serial port, programmatically
Galaxy S2 (I9100)¶
- The Galaxy S2 (I9100) has:
- An antenna connector
- The SOC serial port that is accessible behind the USB connector at a low voltage
- A full size mini-sim (easier to interface with)
- The smartphone could either be screwed on a metallic surface or an external case could be screwed on a metallic surface enabling the smartphone not to move.
- Simtrace 2 lacks screw holes so a way must be found to make sure that it doesn't move as it uses flex cables to interface with the SIM socket of the smartphone. That may be fixed in a subsequent hardware revision.
Serial port and USB:
Battery:Antenna connector and GSM tower or SDR:
The Galaxy S2 (I9100) has two antenna connectors:
- One internal connector, TODO: find the connector type
- One external connector, TODO: Find the connector type
See also the links inside the Serial_port article for more background on how to get serial port access on devices like the Galaxy SIII (i9300) or the Galaxy S2 (i9100).
See https://git.replicant.us/contrib/GNUtoo/test-infrastructure.git for the source of the file.