This page explains how to install the various tools used with Replicant. It is assumed that you are running a GNU/Linux operating system.
Note: you may need to run the tools as root if your current user doesn't have USB access privileges.
Many distributions already have packages for the most common tools
sudo pacman -S android-tools android-udev heimdall
sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot heimdall-flash
Installing it from Replicant¶
Some of the tools are also built with the Replicant releases.
1. Download the
unpackbootimg tools, with their corresponding
.asc signatures files from ReplicantImages for the latest image.
2. Make sure you have added the Replicant release key of the latest version to your GPG keyring
3. Check the signature of the each tools:
gpg --armor --verify path/to/adb.asc path/to/adb gpg --armor --verify path/to/fastboot.asc path/to/fastboot gpg --armor --verify path/to/heimdall.asc path/to/heimdall gpg --armor --verify path/to/mkbootimg.asc path/to/mkbootimg gpg --armor --verify path/to/unpackbootimg.asc path/to/unpackbootimg
4. Make sure the check succeeds, do not run the binary if it doesn't!
As the tools are built as a 32 bit binary, you will need to install compatibility libraries for 32 bits executables if your computer is running on a 64 bit architecture.
5. Make sure tools can be executed:
chmod a+x adb chmod a+x fastboot chmod a+x heimdall chmod a+x mkbootimg chmod a+x unpackbootimg
6. You can now use the tools. As they weren't installed in the system path, you need to go in the directory they were downloaded in and add a './' in front of the commands.
For instance if you want to obtain a list of commands accepted by adb you can use the following command: