UsageNotes » History » Revision 25
- Table of contents
- Usage Notes
General-purpose usage notes and tips can be found on this page.
The website also provides recommendations and general advice.
Enabling root access¶
See EnablingRootAccess for more details.
See DeviceEncryption for how to do it.
Browser and webview: freedom and security issues¶
Prevent usage of the embedded webview in apps¶
Use two web browsers¶
**Note: The recommendation above to use the Lightning browser needs to be reviewed because it hasn't been updated in over two years
Use a Gecko-based web browser¶
Gecko-based web browsers (such as IceCatMobile and Orfox) don't use WebView, and therefore don't have the security issues associated with WebView. However, Gecko-based web browsers require enabling llvmpipe.
Backups can be made using oandbackup or
If you created a backup of system applications before switching from the factory image or a different Android distribution to Replicant or before an upgrade to a new major release (e.g. from Replicant 4.2 to Replicant 6.0), restoring this backup will cause issues. The installation pages require a factory reset in these cases because the data is incompatible, so a backup of the data is incompatible as well.
SMS and contacts apps usually provide ways to export contacts and messages. Using these means to backup and restore the data will likely be successful and won't result in misbehaving apps.
- If the front camera on your device requires a non-free firmware, selecting the front camera will crash the app and you will not be able to use the app unless you delete the data of the app:
- In the settings under Personal, select Apps
- There will be two apps named Camera. Select the second one that has a camera as icon.
- Press Storage
- Select Clear Data and confirm the dialog
You should now be able to use the camera again.
- If the camera app freezes when you take a picture, press the shutter button a second time. This should restart the camera in the background and take the picture.
- If your device needs a non-free firmware for hardware media encoding/decoding, video recording will not work.
Viewing videos in the gallery or in the browser is not possible. See #1539 for background information.
Only the VLC app is known to be able to play videos on Replicant. Make sure to disable hardware acceleration in the settings to prevent crashes.
Replicant 6.0 includes a minimal terminal app, but it is not accessible by default. To make the app visible in the launcher, open the Developer options in the settings. In the Debugging section, enable Local terminal. A more feature-complete terminal emulator is available from F-Droid: https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=terminal&fdid=jackpal.androidterm.